Skyroot unveils India’s first private Cryogenic Rocket Engine
Skyroot Aerospace, a Hyderabad based firm, unveiled India’s first privately developed indigenous fully cryogenic rocket Dhawan-I engine on September 25th. The Dhawan-I engine runs on an extremely cooled oxidizer, Liquid Oxygen (LoX), and Liquid Natural gas (LNG).
Amazon Event 2020
The annual Amazon event on September 24 was full of new and exciting upgrades to Amazon Devices and Services. A quick look at the announcements
- Ring Always Home Cam – a miniature, self-docking drone designed to fly around inside the house.
- Wi-Fi 6 Devices – Eero 6 Router, Eero Pro 6 Router, and Eero 6 Extender
- New Echo generation – Echo 4th generation, Echo Dot 4th Generation, Echo Dot Kids Edition, Echo Show 10
- Fire TV Stick Lite and Fire TV Stick
- New Gaming Service Luna – Amazon’s rival to Google Stadia, Apple Arcade among others
Microsoft purchases Bethesda Softworks
With Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S releases right around the corner, Microsoft has strengthened its gaming portfolio with the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, the corporate parent of Bethesda Softworks, for USD 7.5 Billion. Bethesda Softworks games is the house of some of the most iconic games, including the Fallout series, Doom series, and Wolfenstein series.
Nikola is facing a storm from all directions
A few weeks ago, EV maker Nikola was riding high after its partnership with VW Group.
Last week it was revealed that Trevor Milton wasn’t telling the truth at a 2016 event when he claimed that the Nikola One truck on the stage “fully functions.”. Apparently, the promotional video of the truck was made by rolling it down a hill. This caused furor all around and ultimately led to the resignation of CEO Trevor Milton last Sunday (September 20). The latest report from The Wall Street Journal says that the company was struggling to find partners to build a planned network of hydrogen fueling stations. This would derail their entire business model of leasing initially and they may have to find other avenues. Nikola stocks tumbled over 25% last week.
Lenovo begins selling OEM Ubuntu PCs to the general public
Good news for Linux enthusiasts as well as folks in the market for cheaper laptops. Lenovo has released 27 models, featuring Ubuntu LTS versions, will now be available for retail purchase through Lenovo.com.
Shapoorji Pallonji Group to exit Tata Sons after 70 years
The Shapoorji Pallonji (SP) Group, which was the largest minority shareholder with 18.37% stake in Tata Sons, the holding company of Tata Group, decided to end the relationship on September 22nd. This 70-year relationship was constantly in friction – with varying news reports and court decisions – ever since Cyrus Mistry was appointed as a successor to Ratan Tata and was subsequently removed unceremoniously.
Google for Startups (GFS) Accelerator program selects 20 Startups
Doubling the cohort size from 10 last year to 20 this year, the Google for Startups (GFS) Accelerator programme in India selected from around 600 entries. The selected entries were from
- AntWak: a social learning platform for professionals.
- BharatAgri: a farming technology platform..
- BlackLight Studio: multiplayer mobile gaming platform.
- Dcoder: a mobile-first coding platform.
- Factors.AI: a marketing analytics platform..
- Foxy.in: e-commerce for influencers, artists and brands.
- Gram Power: a smart metering system for electricity.
- InnerHour: a mental health and wellness platform.
- Leher: a social network for content creators, influencers and vloggers.
- Lokal: a local news app..
- Math Buddy: a mathematics learning platform.
- Mera Cashier: a credit-tracking app.
- Mosaic Wellness: a direct-to-consumer brand.
- myHQ: a co-working space firm.
- Navia Life Care: a patient management platform for doctors.
- Orowealth: wealth management and financial planning services.
- Virohan: a healthcare skills training platform.
- Wellthy Therapeutics: on-demand nutrition and fitness coach platform.
- Womaniya: a pregnancy-related information platform.
- Zeo Auto: a fleet management platform.
Smart Devices released this week
LG K42, LG K52, LG K62, LG K71
Nokia 2.4, Nokia 3.4
Oppo Reno4 SE
Realme C17, Realme Narzo 20, Realme Narzo 20 Pro, Realme Narzo 20A
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
Ulefone Armor 8 5G
vivo V20, vivo V20 Pro, vivo V20 SE, vivo Watch
Garmin fēnix 6 Pro Solar – a solar powered watch